Feeling stressed? You're not the only one. Eighteen months of a global pandemic is taking its toll.
Five Ways to help protect and improve your mental health:
1. Put yourself first. Treat yourself as kindly as you would treat others. Make time for the things you love to do.
2. Take care of your body. Good nutrition and physical activity can go a long way to protecting and improving mental health.
3. Keep good company. A strong familial or social network predicts good mental health. Make plans with others – even if you need to wear a mask and keep a physical distance – and make new friends through activities you enjoy.
4. Set some goals. Make them modest and manageable and enjoy the mental boost as you accomplish them.
5. Mix it up. Routines are good for efficiency and feeling secure, but trying a new bike path, hobby or project is good for our brains.
Call specialists for 211, the 24-7 resource that United Way supports across the US. and Canada, fielded 900,000 calls about mental health last year, and connected callers to local resources.